Can I obtain SSD benefits for a heart transplant?

On Behalf of | Nov 21, 2022 | Social Security Disability

Your life has taken a serious, but not unexpected turn. You have known for months that your heart was failing, and the strong possibility existed that you needed a new one. Now, doctors have confirmed this.

Leading up to this point, you have been unable to work. Your failing health has led to a myriad of medical appointments and consultations, but mainly zapped the energy required to fulfill your job duties. Now, that you cannot work, you wonder whether your ailment may qualify you for Social Security disability (SSD) benefits.

Cardiovascular ailments qualify

Thousands of medical conditions exist that may qualify people for SSD benefits. Some include arthritis, back pain, joint pain, mental illness, cancer, hearing loss, blindness, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, respiratory diseases and cardiovascular system ailments.

The latter includes heart transplants, heart failure, heart disease and coronary artery disease. The clear indication: Someone in need of a new heart likely will qualify to receive SSD benefits.

But remember, you are not a shoo-in to get these benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) denies roughly two-thirds of all disability claims. During the 2010s decade, the government rejected an average of 67% of such claims.

Another key factor to know is that your ailment must prevent you from working for at least a year.

Patience required

Patience also is in order for people who seek SSD benefits. If you qualify, you may expect to wait a year or more before obtaining these benefits. It may take up to five months for the SSA to accept or reject your claim. And if you qualify, you must be disabled for five straight months before receiving the benefits.

Continue with your life as you wait

You have no choice but to wait, so during that time, continue with the goings-on in your life. With your heart ailment, continue to consult with your doctor, and maintain your regular trips to the cardiac rehabilitation center for the physical exercise you need. Also, follow up with the SSA about your benefits status.

FindLaw Network